9.06.2010

Fine, I'll answer your questions.

People (and strangers) keep asking us the same questions. I thought I'd address them all at once.

(Q) When will the house be done?
(A) Done. What does the term even mean? Done, like when we sell it? Done, when we run out of money? Er, see next question.

(Q) When are you moving into the house?
(A) I like this question better, but not much better. Once we give out deadlines, we break them and then feel like we're behind. We want to be in as soon as possible, and we are hosting Thanksgiving dinner. We need a few key items before then: one window, one garage door, a working shower, a working sink, toilets, counter tops, floors, appliances, exterior railings. Once you notice all of those elements in place, we can move in. Whoever keeps track and notices the completion first gets a loaf of bread.

(Q) What are you doing underneath the house?
(A) It's architecture, people! The brace frame is permanent. It is intentional. The scaffolding will go away once we have finished putting up the siding. We wanted the house to have the option to build the lower level outward in the future if needed (resale, pregnancy of quintuplets, etc.). But, we don't want a big house. Thus, empty space below.

(Q) You need more windows.
(A) Wait, this isn't even a question! Windows are expensive. Hartanov House is not. Windows provide light, but also more heat in the summer and cold in the winter. Windows give less privacy, which could be awkward when people are walking perimeters around your house on a public path. Solatubes are great exchanges for windows. They work like skylights, at a fraction of the cost of windows. We have plenty.

(Q) Why do you only have one side window at the East end of the house?
(A) This one is easy! The view from this window is not ideal. It looks out onto a really busy street, (think: 1 car every 1 second). I would go mad with anxiety if I had to constantly see that buzz. The views from the North and South of our house are much prettier. Our large slider door looks out onto some lovely woods on our property, with no cars or people in site.

(Q) Why are people so opinionated about the house?
(A) I haven't figured this out yet.

Feel free to leave your other questions and comments below. I'll get to them.

3 comments:

  1. You are having thanksgiving at your house? Why was I not told?

    P.S. When will your house be done? Why do you not have more windows?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Will there be jello?

    ReplyDelete