(** I don't have cabin fever. Maybe I do. A little. It did snow again today, and I'm under the weather. But, I'm serious about the holes.)
These are the kind of doors that sit on the wall and then slide over the doorway. (Sure, like a barn door.) So, we're taking the approach that it is an extension or movable part of the wall.
With that "philosophy" in mind, we decided that the doors should match the walls (SUPER white) so that they feel like they are part of the walls. But, that alone is SUPER boring!
So, we decided it would be fun to punch a few holes in the doors for interest. Imagine a grid. Check out my mock-up. (Pretend that the white dots are holes.)
Wouldn't it be lovely? And silly? Think of how the light would play with this. It would really put an emphasis on the design instead of color or material. But, of course, you have one major question that I have yet to address: doors provide privacy, but holes don't provide privacy, so what gives?
Well, the doors going from public to private spaces would have to feature a design that stopped at like 7 feet so you couldn't peek in unless you were going to find a chair, which would only get weird from there. Something like this.
So, yeah, that's the plan. If you still think we're nuts, some cool people with lots of money gave us the idea here.


I actually LOVE the whole idea of the holes - seriously very cool. & the sliding doors concept is awesome -- Curt and I imagine using them ourselves someday! fun fun. p.s. - as you can imagine, I LOVED that cat from the link you posted on our blog. It would be Ella's little buddy for sure. I WIll get one some day.
ReplyDelete