9.07.2011

A Day of Firsts and Some Justifications

In the spirit of Labor Day, I fell asleep in a hammock face first and bruised my nose with my sunglasses. I also started my first quilt.  It was a day of firsts.

I'm starting a Buggy Barn (local) - "Stack and Whack" style quilt.  Log Cabin Crazies, to be exact.  Here's the example picture.  Crazy.

Here's my first block.  Seriously, I'm a super novice, but I hear this pattern is forgiving. (Thank Goodness.)  I'm using lots of dark grays offset with bright yellows, greens, and oranges.

I get it. Lots of you readers just mentally checked out.  This will NOT become a blog about quilting or handicrafts.  Don't you worry.  This stuff doesn't really interest me either, but I recently entered into a new phase of life that made this okay.  Here are the distinct life phases of handicrafts/DIY according to me, Lisa:

1. THAT's for old people.
2.  I could do THAT.
3.  Been there, done THAT.

Now if you are having trouble relating, swap "handicrafts" with "doing your own electrical work" or "repairing things instead of throwing them out" or "building your own furniture" or "having children".  Of course, I've unexpectedly and most recently fallen into category #2, due to "Ancestral Justification" which is my term for concluding, "I should do this stuff because my ancestors have been doing this for generations and it's about time I learned how to do something other than order online."

What phase do YOU fall in?

(image from www.buggybarnquilts.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment