We took the approach that these doors are more like partitioning walls or screens. Sure, they provide privacy, but not in the sealed shut sort of way. I mean, it's not a vault, we live here.
So let's get straight to the main question. What about those holes? We added them because we thought it would be interesting, and it would keep the light pouring in from room to room. I'm sure you're wondering how those fit in with the privacy thing. No worries folks, the holes are really high up on the "public to private" doorways. See pic below.
The doors are made out of 3/4" MDF. We designed the patterns and drilled the holes ourselves. We opted for conversion varnish instead of paint because this way you can really scrub the doors. (The painter said we could have used oil, so we really don't know what we're talking about.)
As mentioned before, Tyler made the door hardware by sourcing his own parts and pieces. Hardware for each door ended up costing about $35, which is awesome when you compare it to this $1000 option. Tyler's makeshift hardware made this project affordable for us, and he would tell you that problem solving is more satisfying than buying.
Obviously, the biggest change with now HAVING doors is the privacy. We can close off parts of the house when people come over. Maybe I didn't make the bed, now you'll NEVER know! Or, if I'm still in my pj's when someone knocks on the door, I can hide. Ha Ha!
(more pictures here, here, and here.)

Guys, I dig the hardware. My wife and I put up the barn door hardware you can find at lowes... not bad, we like the look but really wanted a solution similar to yours. Hows the noise? Ours sounds like a train driving through our house everytime we open and close it, not bad for the few times you close and open a bedroom door except when your 2yo daughter is sleeping!
ReplyDeleteThanks, Evan! No trains here, they are actually pretty quiet. Tyler mentioned something about ball bearings helping the cause. Maybe we haven't broken them in yet. Who knows!
DeleteYour approach was smart because you incorporated both design and function to the sliding door. When light passes through the holes, the door becomes a decorative piece of the room. The design also helps facilitate airflow throughout the room. NICE!
ReplyDelete