5.14.2012

Q&A with Lisa

Folks, the blog usually focuses on what's going on with this house project of ours. Today will be the exception to the rule, because I'm going to actually mention some information about MY life. There are some changes afoot. (Gasp!) 

Changes?  What could they be?  Yikes!
Well, I have an announcement to make.

Go on!
I'm happy to report that after 3 years of work, the Coeur d'Alene Casino Resort remodel expansion project has earned a LEED Gold rating. I know!

I don't know.
Okay, I'll back up. For the last three years I've been working on the LEED rating for a construction project, you know, for money.

Can you back WAAAY up?
Okay.  flashback.  Recession. Lisa wandering around with a studio arts degree. (beret, baguette, bemused.) Three year job opportunity. Work from home. "Okay, I'll take it!" flash forward. Gold rating achieved. Time to move on. 
  
So, what is LEED?
It means "Leadership in Energy & Environmental Design". (SNOOZE, I KNOW!) It's this fancy green rating system that construction projects can apply for, execute, and possibly achieve. Basically, it's 3 years of paperwork for someone who is both Type A and organized. Me! For this project I took the grunt of the paperwork on the contractor end, and blah blah blah gold blah blah sustainable blah blah winning.

(Tangent) Wait, is Hartanov House a LEED project?
HH has no LEED accreditation. It costs quite a bit of money to apply, and we don't have that kind of budget. Also, this wouldn't add value or help us sell the house in the future. (Thanks, Spokane.) But, I'm confident our home could have achieved some sort of rating.

(Back on Track) So your job ended.  WHAAA?
This gold rating now signifies the end of my work contract and the transition to something new. .... That "new" part is still being defined.

What do you LIKE doing?
I have really enjoyed designing and building our home! I mean, I've spent most of the last two years researching, designing, building, and blogging* about residential interiors, so doesn't it make sense that I'd take a closer look at it? I'd argue that it's an artistic medium! (My new medium?) So they say, do what you love, right?  But there's also, do what you've already been doing but no one is paying you for... yet.

What are your options?
Well, I could go pursue a Masters, in interiors, per say, but then we'd have to abandon Hartanov House and move out of Spokane. HARD TO SWALLOW! So, that option is a little touchy right now.  But I mean, interiors?  It just happens to be one of those careers that doesn't require education, but it always helps. (I've already check-mated the fine arts degree, and I've spent the last two years working on HH, which I believe they call, "experience". Is that enough?)  Sure, there are computer programs to learn, but instinct and taste are gifts, and everything else is teachable.    

What would work for you right now?
I'm currently trying to figure that out... but for Spokane, what I need is the right fit.  I research, blog, and design.  So, wouldn't I be a great fit for a design or build biz? I could do their blog for them because they NEED it to be good to get people excited about their company and to gain customer base.  If I did it, they'd LOVE it. And then I could also do product research and design for them because I've got that creative problem solving skill that everyone wants on their team, and they'd be on-fire-in-love with that too.  Wait!  I even speak LEED.  Triple Threat! It's time!  Snatch me up, folks! (or tell someone that I need snatching...)  

Until then, I'm devoted to HH. xo Lisa 

* In case you were wondering, I make zero dollars on the blog.  I just do it for fun because I love it and I'm dedicated. Totally hirable qualities, by the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment