So let's talk fireplace! There are many synonyms for "contemporary architecture" but some of the critiques would be cold or stark. I have seen some images of the latest trends that look like a jail cell to me. Blah.
Since we like modern architecture, but don't want to feel like any of the above, we decided a fireplace would visually and physically warm things up. We then took the next 6 months to debate gas verses wood heat. I was on Team Gas, for obvious name reasons, but because gas has that push-button comfort, there is no wood involved, and we could get a really sleek, streamline unit that just screams modern. Team Wood, on the other hand, was mentioning things like "source heat", "save money", chants of "No Faux!", and "real fire". All in all it came down to two major deciders for me to cave into Team Wood: the gas units use a fan, which would be noisy in our large room, and to get a streamline gas unit, we would have to loose square footage in our room and drywall out further than anticipated. Thus, I switched teams and it was decided. Wood! (There was also a promise of Tyler being responsible for wood chopping.)
Our criteria for selecting a unit was as follows: legit, budget-worthy, space appropriate, efficient, and passes Washington State regulations (which is good for the environment, but limiting). Most options were out right away due to state laws and budget. We lamented over the Worlds Most Beautiful Object

and then the Fire Orb

But the above criteria eventually lead us to the TULA!

As it appears, this unit is tall and skinny. It doesn't require much floor space, is efficient enough to heat the main floor, and is awfully cute. (right?) It's also allowed in WA state. We are going to offset it on the wall and put up a wood storage box like this, but more simple, blackened steel.

Tyler better start chopping wood!
Hi Lisa! Right after Jeff, the girls and I left Priest Lake the other night, I got home and looked up your blog. Unbelievably beautiful! I love the pictures of your progress!I think you will LOVE having those later on because it's always fun to look back on how much really has been accomplished. LOVE your design...it's going to be such a cool place!! Well done, Hartanovs!
ReplyDelete