2.08.2012

The Dining Table Benches


It's time for you all to come over because the benches are done and I make homemade bread. We can now get 8 people comfortably at the table and would squish in 12 for the best of occasions.  It all feels so grown-up after using a small grimy farmhouse table with folding chairs.  We're big kids now!  
Kids still allowed at the table.

To commemorate, I put out some candlesticks and candy.
New candlesticks look awkward.

Back to the benches.  Tyler ran some metal supports underneath the bench tops in order to get them to span the 8 feet length and also to make sure they were really sturdy.  We also used some thick 1.5" cherry. 
See?  I crawl on the floor for you.

We chose to make benches because the walkways around our table are essential, but also small.  Benches disappear nicely under the table. Also, making our own benches is WAY cheaper than buying 10 chairs. So, yeah, I get it that benches may not be as comfortable as chairs, but you wait and see how you feel when there's a whole gaggle of people tucked in tush to tush telling great stories and eating stew and fresh bread.
This is where the stew party meets.

So, the benches have been a satisfying success, but it all feels a little too orderly. Doesn't it? It's all very streamline and clean lines, and not-a-hair-out-of-place. 
I'm Type A.

Bring on the chaos!
Tyler's Type B.  



(images via me and www.pinterest.com)



No comments:

Post a Comment