Folks, I received
this comment on the blog the other day. Let's read it together.
Anonymous has left a new comment on your post "The Credenza Plan":
Tyler and Lisa are building cheap knock off furniture. You must really be novice, and young not to realize the error you are making in publicly posting your intent to deliberately copy work. This is a terrible start to your career.
Wahoo! Criticism!
Yes! Let’s learn and grow together! So, there's a lot of stuff going on here.
There's an overall sentiment that we are doing wrong, and there's some mockery,
and some insults. Let's talk about this.
My guess is that
this person stumbled upon our blog and came to some quick conclusions without
really grasping the content. Since this comment does seem to make some
assumptions about us that don't seem totally applicable, please let
me clear up a few things. This house project has nothing to do with our
careers. They are separate. This is a blog about building our personal
home. The blog was started for our friends and family who were curious on
the progress of the house. We do not have any sponsors and do not get any
financial support for building the house or writing a blog. The blog is not a
tutorial or business venture. We are not selling anything. I often like to
point out that we don't educate you or teach you anything on the blog. It's
just progress information.
So, back to the
comment. Unfortunately, this comment was left anonymously, which is a shame,
because I would have preferred dialogue. But, luckily this is my blog, so I can
start the dialogue. So, the comment expressed frustration at us for discussing
our design inspirations for furniture, making our own version, and then putting
this information on the blog. By doing this, it was never our intent to hurt
anyone or to come across as sneaky. We are not making furniture to sell; we are
making furniture for our personal use in our home. We are not providing any
sort of tutorials on how to make someone else's furniture. We are,
however, being very transparent about what is inspiring us.
This comment echoes
a larger issue out there that I thought would be interesting to address: using
other people’s ideas. Now some of you will yell, “thief!” and others will say,
“yeah, so?”. It is, no doubt, confusing territory. Of course, I’m not talking
about actually duplicating someone else’s work for profit, which is not cool.
I’m getting at the messy grey area, where you like someone’s idea and you use
it in your own work.
At its most basic
form, this debate is about the ownership of ideas. The essential difference
between copying an idea and being inspired by an idea comes down to how you make it your own.
There has to be some sort of new content added to the old. Wouldn’t you agree? Kirby
Ferguson discusses this in his Ted Talk, “Embrace the Remix”. (Watch the 10-minute video here.) He explains the inspirational process as: copy,
transform, and combine. Kirby argues that everything is an adaptation of
something else, and that adaptation is just part of the design process. So
true! We all build inspiration from the world around us and outside ourselves.We are all adding content to former ideas. The things that we are inspired by
were once inspired by something else. In that sense, design is such an
evolutionary process. So, I’d say that using other people’s ideas is unavoidable, if not inevitable.
So, that’s where I am
at. What do you think of all this? Agree? Disagree? Let me know in the
comments! Anonymous, mean-spirited, or insulting comments will not be
posted. :)
(Thanks to the
handful of design professionals whose brain I picked on this topic and who gave
me some cool sources to check out.)
Well reasoned. Well put. Well played.
ReplyDeleteCousin, you are awesome and it is my honor to be related to you. Your blog is a generous gift unto humanity and I love reading it.
ReplyDeleteThere's that part in "Annie Hall" when Marshall McCluhan calls out that blowhard in line at the movies. "You know nothing of my work!"
http://youtu.be/GLJ2W6v_evY?t=1m57s
Feelin like that's what your design heroes + muses would say to Anonymous.
I agree with the quote “The essential difference between copying an idea and being inspired by an idea comes down to how you make it your own.” This applies to anything in life. I can copy someone’s recipe, copy someone’s fashion or I can copy someone’s home decorations. All of this said copying is done as a compliment. However, I acknowledge that not all copying is done in a positive manor. Yet, using an idea to inspire is different. The few years I spent in college studying architecture, we were encouraged and sometimes required to look at other architects and designers to learn or be inspired from for our designs. Whether we acknowledge it our not, we are all inspired by something or someone at endless points in our life. Some may choose to act upon that inspiration and thus create a new non-profit, build a cabinet or pursue a new career, which could then inspire someone else, thus making the world go round.
ReplyDeleteI agree with the statement that we are all inspired by others ideas thus using and building on other peoples ideas is unavoidable. This conversation happens a lot in the fashion industry. When I have talked to a few designers with regarding to people "copying" their design they consider it a compliment. I thought this was a cool and positive way to view this issue of ownership.
ReplyDeleteLisa,
ReplyDeleteSorry for the late response, throwing a new child in the mix has left me gasping for even an just an ounce free time! EVERY POINT you have made is completely valid. It is also a shame this person chose to be anonymous.
There is so much on this topic, its a shame the author simply decided to attack you.
Keep in mind these words from the great Phillip Johnson (even though I DO understand this is not your career ;-)
"I got everything from someone. Nobody can be original. As Mies van der Rohe said, 'I don't want to be original. I want to be good.' "
Read more: Philip Johnson Interview - The Glass House - Quotes about Architecture - Esquire http://www.esquire.com/features/what-ive-learned/ESQ0299-FEB_PHIL#ixzz2DU83Ijeh
Also, for those interested in further research... maybe your heading should read "copying vs stealing" there is a difference, spoken from the likes of Steve Jobs and Pablo Picasso. Steal.
ReplyDelete